Here in the Fuss Free Kitchen I love my knives; a good knife can make chopping a pleasure, cutting through the toughest of jobs like a hot wire through butter. Slightly paradoxically a good sharp knife is in fact far safer than a blunt one, it is easier to control and is far less likely to slip than cheap light weight badly balanced ones which are far more likely to slip or bounce and cut you.
Culinary alchemist Heston Blumenthal has long been a fan of Japanese Torjiro knives, made with 37 or 63 layers of steel, they are handmade by craftsmen in Japan and every knife is unique. They are amazing knives, but for many the hefty price tag puts them out of reach of the non professionals.
Step in Heston and his new range of knives, developed to give great performance, at a realistic and affordable price point the knives are made from three layers of steel, ensuring sharpness and precision. I like the feel of the knife in my hand, the balance and cut, and my Heston paring knife (I really do not like working with large chef’s knives – it is a very personal preference) is my to-go knife, the one I grab from the block (or draining board – never put good knives in the dishwasher) for most tasks.
Gary and I were asked along to the launch of the new knifes. It has to be said that Gary who probably is Heston’s number one fan was very excited indeed. Heston clearly is a knife geek, I would venture to say obsessive, and is hugely knowledgable about them. He is also a really top bloke and chatted and laughed with Gary and I for a good few minutes, and indulged us whilst we took photos.
Although it still is early, Christmas is coming and the goose (and turkey) are getting fat, and in my (and I suspect) many other families the job of carving the Christmas bird can be daunting. To make it just a little bit easier I have a carving set, worth £100, from the new Heston knife range to giveaway to one lucky reader. For a chance to win simply follow the instructions below, come back every day for bonus entries.
Win A Heston Blumenthal 2 Piece Carving Knife Set – RRP £100
How To Enter
- Simply complete the Rafflecopter widget below to verify your entries
- Entries can be via blog comment, Facebook, Twitter etc
- Read the rules below, and please take note of the entry criteria. I can tell if you have tweeted and facebooked, I do verify entries, and will, and have disqualified people who cheat.
- Closing date Midnight 10th December 2012
New to Fuss Free Flavours or Rafflecopter?
- If there is no form hit refresh (f5) and it should appear
- You need to complete the mandatory entry first – usually making a blog comment
- Login to Rafflecopter – click to see what the question is. Make a comment answering the question on the blog, (I verify all comments so it will not appear immediately), go back to Rafflecopter and click the green button to tell my you have made a comment, this will unlock all the other options regardless of whether the comment is approved or not.
- Rafflecopter will tweet, like and follow on your behalf making it really easy to enter!
- For information on how to find the url of your tweet click here
- Really want to win the prize? Come back every day for bonus entries
- This giveaway is open to all readers over 18, who live in the UK. Grunwerg will verify the winner is over 18 before ending the prize out.
- The winner will be chosen via Rafflecopter (which uses random.org) and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail, if they do not respond within a 7 days another winner may be chosen.
- There is one prize of a Heston Blumenthal Kitchen Knife Carving Set
- I am running this competition in good faith on behalf of Grunwerg. Their decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. They reserve the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type / value if the prize above is not available.
- Instructions form part of the terms and conditions
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- The organiser reserves the right to alter the closing date of the giveaway, either closing early or extending without notice. Changes to the closing date if they occur will be shown on this page
- Where prizes are to be provided by a third party Fuss Free Flavours will have no responsibility for the acts or defaults of any other persons.
- There is one main way to enter and several ways to get bonus entries, including bonus daily entries. Follow the instructions in the form above. If you already like / follow comment in the Rafflecopter widget and let me know to get your entries.
Many thanks to Grunwerg for asking me to the launch and for my new knives.