I am delighted to be sharing this recipe for mince pies with a twist from Carluccio’s chef Luciano.
- 200g pre made sweet pastry
- plain flour - to dust
- 25g Raisins
- 25g orange peel, finely chopped
- 30g Dried Prunes, finely chopped
- 30g Dried apricots, finely chopped
- 30g Almond flakes, toasted
- 40g Brown sugar
- 80ml Good quality dark rum
- 1 Apple, chopped or grated
- ½ lemon, juice
- Zabaglione Sauce
- 4 Egg yolks
- 80g caster sugar
- 50ml Marsala wine
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Roll the pastry until about 3mm thck, cut out stars using a star cutter. Place in the Whisk the egg oven on a pre-heated tray lined with baking paper, or until golden.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins
- For the sauce
- Whisk the egg yolks, caster sugar and wine in a bowl and cook over a bain marie until it thickens to a custard like consistency.
- Place a spoonful of the dried fruit mix in the centre of a plate, and top with a pastry star. Repeat until the dish is 4, or more stars high. Serve with the custard around the mince pie
For more Christmas recipes with an Italian twist visit Carluccio’s website, or watch the video below.
Sponsored post for Carluccios. All opinions our own. Recipe, image and video courtesy of Carluccios.