A delightful breakfast recipe using maple syrup from Quebec.
- For the fritters
- 200g cream cheese
- 250g cottage cheese, well drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 40g maple sugar
- 40g chopped raisins
- Grated lemon zest
- 75g plain flour (plus extra for coating)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- For the cherries and maple syrup
- 175ml pure maple syrup from Canada
- 200g fresh cherries
- 1 lemon, squeezed for juice
- Place cream cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar in a bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in raisins, lemon zest.
- Sieve flour and combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for four hours, or overnight.
- Roll into balls with excess flour, flatten into disks. Place on baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt butter and oil in frying pan and cook fritters for 2 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Keep warm in low oven.
- Heat maple syrup, lemon juice, cherries and 1 tbsp of water in a pan until cherries become soft.
- Serve the fritters warm with cherries. Any fresh or preserved fruit can be used.
Recipe & photography courtesy of Love Maple.
If you like maple syrup you might also like my
or from other great blogs