I am loving Nigel Slater’s latest series Dish of the Day. What I especially enjoy is that most of his recipes are very simple ideas, which require little prep, hands on time or faffing around and the resultant food is delicious and for me slightly nostalgic. Just my sort of cooking, and, also the sort of food that anyone should be able to achieve.
The folks at Denhay Farms (who make very good bacon and cheese), have conducted some research into food memories and have found that the top three are the Christmas turkey, fish and chips and school dinners. I have very vivid memories of my grandfather carving enormous Christmas turkey several years, for around 25 people, then dividing up the Christmas pudding, ensuring that my cousins and I all got a coin or two!
Primary school lunches – gypsy tart (a very Kentish pudding) served with a quarter of an apple to help get some of the sugar out of our teeth, and salad containing the devil’s food of raw celery which I tried to disguise in the equally revolting instant mash.
I also remember once being told off for talking – somethings never change – and having to stand and wait until everyone else had finished. Ever one not to avoid confrontation I think that I told the teacher that my parents had in fact paid for me to have a hot meal, not one which had got cold.
Denhay would love to hear about your food memories, and one of them could win a £5000 holiday! Click here by the 30th November for a change to enter. This is a judged competition, rather than voting, so I am happy to support it!
For one Fuss Free Flavours reader I have bacon and cheese pack from Denhay, as well as a copy of Nigel Slater’s new cookbook, The Kitchen Diaries II, packed with recipes and reminiscences, to be won. For a change to win simply follow the instructions below.
Win Denhay Farm Bacon & Cheese Pack and Nigel Slater’s New Book
How To Enter
- Simply complete the Rafflecopter widget below to verify your entries
- Entries can be via blog comment, Facebook, Twitter etc
- Read the rules below, and please take note of the entry criteria. I can tell if you have tweeted and facebooked, I do verify entries, and will, and have disqualified people who cheat.
- Closing date Midnight 10th December 2012
New to Fuss Free Flavours or Rafflecopter?
- If there is no form hit refresh (f5) and it should appear
- You need to complete the mandatory entry first – usually making a blog comment
- Login to Rafflecopter – click to see what the question is. Make a comment answering the question on the blog, (I verify all comments so it will not appear immediately), go back to Rafflecopter and click the green button to tell my you have made a comment, this will unlock all the other options regardless of whether the comment is approved or not.
- Rafflecopter will tweet, like and follow on your behalf making it really easy to enter!
- For information on how to find the url of your tweet click here
- Really want to win the prize? Come back every day for bonus entries
- This giveaway is open to all readers over 18, who live in the UK
- The winner will be chosen via Rafflecopter (which uses random.org) and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail, if they do not respond within a 7 days another winner may be chosen.
- There is 1 prize of a cheese and bacon pack and copy of The Kitchen Diaries II
- I am running this competition in good faith on behalf of Denhay. Their decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. They reserve the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type / value if the prize above is not available.
- Instructions form part of the terms and conditions
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- The organiser reserves the right to alter the closing date of the giveaway, either closing early or extending without notice. Changes to the closing date if they occur will be shown on this page
- Where prizes are to be provided by a third party Fuss Free Flavours will have no responsibility for the acts or defaults of any other persons.
- There is one main way to enter and several ways to get bonus entries, including bonus daily entries. Follow the instructions in the form above. If you already like / follow comment in the Rafflecopter widget and let me know to get your entries.
Many thanks to Denhay for this prize. Fuss Free Flavours has received Denhay Farm bacon, cheese and a copy of the book.