After a heavy meal I do enjoy a light and fresh pudding. This green fruit salad is elegant and healthy as well as delicious. It contains NERGI® Kiwiberries, and if you serve this at a dinner party I am sure that these naturally sweet baby kiwis will be a talking point for your guests. Although it looks like a baby kiwi the NERGI® is actually a berry, which originated in Asia over a thousand years ago and is now grown in France, Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands. The NERGI® has smooth thin skin, so no peeling required, and is handy and easy to eat. Pop some into a lunch box, or have then for snacking. To showcase the berries I have made a simple fruit salad, with the NERGI®, grapes and melon. You do need to make this the day before so the lemongrass syrup soaks into the fruit, and at least partially peeling the grapes is a necessary chore – if you are really pushed for time then simply slice the grapes in half – but I think it is worth the effort of peeling them.
- 100g white sugar
- 120ml water
- 1 stick of lemongrass - cut lengthwise
- ½ a green melon - balled
- 40 green grapes - peeled
- 125g (4.5 oz) pack NERGI® berries - halved
- Place the sugar, water and lemongrass into a pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes and allow to cool. Strain the syrup into a bowl.
- Prepare the fruit and place in a bowl, pour the lemongrass syrup over, and gently stir. Cover and allow to infuse in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Emily’s kiwiberry cheesecakes
- Kate’s zesty orange chia pancakes
- Ren’s burrata and kiwiberry salad
- Lucy’s kiwiberry & lemon meringues
Recipe commissioned by NERGI®, all opinions my own.