Christmas is fast approaching, and with it the vexing question of what to do with the leftovers? These muffins are perfect for a lazy brunch a few days after Christmas and will happily use up the last slithers of turkey, dregs of cranberry sauce, crumbles of Stilton and an optional handful of sweetcorn. You could also add the last chunks of your Christmas ham.
Serve warm and enjoy with a large pot of coffee whilst reading the paper, or arguing about which of the many repeats to watch on telly later in the day.
- 170g / 6oz plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50g / 2oz left over turkey – chopped
- 1 tbs sweetcorn (optional)
- pinch salt
- 125g / 4½oz milk (soy or dairy)
- 42g / 1½oz sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 tbs cranberry sauce
- 50g / 2oz crumbled Stilton (using the rind is fine)
- Preheat the oven to GM5/190C/375F. Line a muffin pan with paper cases, or prepare a silicone mould.
- Pour the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Pour the wet ingredients into a jug and gently whisk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together (the batter should be lumpy and mixing should take no more than 15 folds). Dollop the mixture into your usual muffin pan. Put a spoon of Stilton onto each muffin and prod it so it partially sinks into the batter. Bake at GM5/190C/375F for 25 mins until risen and the cheese is golden.
- Turn out and eat when still warm.