I’ve been drinking infused (or detox as they are now known) waters for years. Simply take a jug of water, thrown in some sliced fruit, maybe some herbs and you get a delicious refreshing drink, that is cheap to make and does you good.
I start the day with a glass of hot water with lemon and then keep a glass of water on my desk all day – it usually just has a slice of lemon in it, and I am always astonished at just how much flavour a small piece of fruit can impart.
Drinking detox water or infused water is the healthier choice for a number of reasons, so why not give it a go?
- If you are hydrated you are more alert, get more done and feel more positively about yourself
- We often mistake thirst for hunger. When you next feel hungry drink a large glass of water and see if that helps
- Dehydration makes you feel tired. Grab water rather than a coffee
- A large glass of fruit infused detox water is far better for you than sugary or artificially sweetened squash or fizzy drink
- Keeping hydrated helps your body (kidneys, liver and skin) flush out the toxins
- Detox waters contain practically zero calories
- Drinking filtered water from the tap is cheaper and better for the planet than buying bottled
- There are endless variations for detox water so you will never get bored
- I find it easier to drink slightly flavoured water quickly – so after a workout I can gulp it down
As much as I love London, I certainly do not love the London tap water, so usually filter my water through a BRITA jug. We always use a BRITA kettle to filter our boiled water, it makes a remarkable difference to both tea and coffee.
- 1 BRITA filtered water
- 6 strawberries sliced
- 1 lime sliced
- 2 sprigs of basil
Place all the ingredients into a jug and allow to infuse for an hour or overnight in the fridge.
Serve chilled or at room temperature according to taste. Drink within a day
Other ideas for flavouring your detox waters or fruit infusions
- Orange and blueberry
- Pink grapefruit and raspberry
- Cucumber and lemon
- Lemon, lime and orange
What flavours would you pick?
Post commissioned by BRITA.