A delightful breakfast recipe using maple syrup from Quebec. If you prefer a savoury version, try my raindow fritters.
Try these Leftover cream cheese frosting chocolate truffles while you are at it!
Cream Cheese Fritters, English Summer Cherries and Maple Syrup
For the Fritters
- 200 g cream cheese
- 250 g cottage cheese (well drained)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 40 g maple sugar
- 40 g chopped raisins
- Grated lemon zest
- 75 g plain flour (plus extra for coating)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the Cherries
- 175 ml pure maple syrup from Canada
- 200 g fresh cherries
- 1 lemon (squeezed for juice)
- Place cream cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar in a bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in raisins, lemon zest.
- Sieve flour and combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for four hours, or overnight.
- Roll into balls with excess flour, flatten into disks. Place on baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt butter and oil in frying pan and cook fritters for 2 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Keep warm in low oven.
- Heat maple syrup, lemon juice, cherries and 1 tbsp of water in a pan until cherries become soft.
- Serve the fritters warm with cherries. Any fresh or preserved fruit can be used.
Recipe & photography courtesy of Love Maple.
If you like maple syrup you might also like my
or from other great blogs