This pretty cream, pink and green dish was simple to put together and used up an open packet of smoked mackerel fillets, the remains of a bag frozen peas and the scrapings of a jar of horseradish sauce. I find a very satisfactory delight in finishing up multiple ingredients in one dish, I am not entirely sure what this says about my character? This is a very approximate dish – use what you have – I think a few handfuls of spinach stirred in at the end in place of the peas would work well.
Pea, Smoked Mackerel and Horseradish Penne
- ½ red onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- Glug olive oil
- Handful frozen peas
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Gug white wine or vermouth
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 heaped teaspoons horseradish sauce
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets - skinned and flaked
- Pepper and salt
- As much pasta as you normally eat
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Meanwhile cook the pasta. When the onion is softened, add the peas, chilli, wine, lemon zest and horseradish and gentle simmer for a few minutes to defrost the peas. When the pasta is cooked drain and add it and the mackerel to the onion sauce. Stir through and season to taste.