Mexican pulled chicken with black beans
This lightly spiced pulled chicken with black beans is ideal for filling tortillas and tacos. Make ahead or freeze in advance.
Servings: 4 Serves 4
For the pulled chicken
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion - peeled &chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - Peelied chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp chilli flake - according to taste
- 1 tsp tsp sweet paprika
- 6 skinless - boneless chicken thighs each cut into quarters
- 1 cup roughly chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbs heaped honey
- 1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tps pickled jalapeños
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Coriander
Preheat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
Pour the oil into a small cast iron casserole dish. Fry the onion over a low heat until translucent, then add the garlic.
Grind the cumin, coriander and chilli. Add the spice mix and the sweet paprika to onion and garlic and fry until fragrant.
Add the chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes. Add tomato and few slices of fresh chilli according to taste. Stir in the honey.
Place the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for an hour.
When cooked, shred the chicken, stir through the black beans, add the pickled jalapeños with some of the vinegar to balance the sweetness of the chicken if desired.
If the sauce needs thickening mix the cornflour with a little water to make a thin paste and stir through the chicken mixture. Return to the oven to heat through.
To serve spoon the pulled chicken into 12 mini tortilla shells, and top with the grated cheese. heat in the oven until piping hot, and the cheese has melted.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 190mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 592mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 11.2mg | Calcium: 242mg | Iron: 2.4mg