Brazilian Roasted Vegetable Feijoada
Tasty vegetable feijoada is an easy veggie version of the classic Brazilian black bean stew. This speedy dish is packed with vegetables and is ready in just 45 minutes, making it perfect for a mid week meal. Vegan and naturally gluten free.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 350 g sweet potatoes - peeled and cubed
- 1 green pepper - deseeded and cut into bite sized chinks
- 1 red pepper - deseeded and cut into bite sized chinks
- 1 red onion - peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp oil
Black bean stew
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 400 g black beans - (drain and rinse one can)
- 250 ml vegetable stock
Heat the oven to 170°C (Fan)/ 375°F (Fan)/ gas mark 5
Peel and cube the sweet potato, and slice the peppers and the peeled red onion. Place in a shallow baking tray, add the oil and season. Mix well to cover all the vegetables evenly,
Roast the vegetables for 30-35 minutes.
As the vegetables are cooking, dice the onion. Heat the oil in a shallow casserole dish or large, heavy frying pan with a lid, on a medium-low heat Fry the onion for a few minutes, then add the garlic.
When the onion is turning translucent, add the paprika, and coriander. Stir to coat the onion in the spices evenly, and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add beans, vegetable stock, tomato puree and thyme. Turn up the heat until the stock is just boiling, then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cover with the lid and cook for 20 minutes,
Just before serving, add the roast vegetable to the casserole dish and stir together gently.
How to use Brazilian Roasted Vegetable Feijoada Leftovers
- Roasting the vegetables separately while the onions and black bean stew is cooking saves time in this traditionally slow cooked recipe, meaning it can be ready in 45 minutes.
- Mix up the roasted vegetables - try adding
- any peppers
- squash or pumpkin
- aubergine / egg plant
- beetroot / beets or other root vegetables
- courgette / zucchini
- Adjust the spicing to your taste. If you want some extra heat, add some chili along with the other spices.
- Leftovers freeze well, or can be kept in the fridge for several days. I like to pack into plastic trays with some rice for a frozen ready meal or to take to work for a packed lunch.
- Make into a veggie feijoada soup by whizzing up with some stock.
- This recipe is 8 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 873mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 13855IU | Vitamin C: 69.8mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 3.5mg