How to make perfect caramelized onions
The perfect sticky caramelized onions are very easy to make but cannot be rushed. Ideal for making ahead and adding to burgers, soups, stews or serving with a cheeseboard. Make ahead and store in the fridge or freezer.
Servings: 10 heaped spoonfuls (1 cereal bowl)
- 1 tbs good quality olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 1 1/2 kg onions - peeled and thinly sliced - I used a mix of white and red
- 4 fat cloves garlic - peeled
- Salt & Pepper
Place the oil and butter in a large non stick pan or wok, place over a low heat and allow to melt.
Add the onions and garlic and stir well.
Allow to cook until reduced, brown and caramelized, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent the onions sticking and burning. This may take up to an hour and a half.
Season well to taste.
Caramelized onions will keep in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight pot.
To make this recipe vegan, omit the butter and use double the quantity of oil.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 223mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 11.5mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 0.3mg