Recipe: Cranberry & Chocolate Sourdough Muffins
Sourdough leaven adds a delicious edge to balance the sweetness of these easy to make muffins. Quick to make, they're great to whip up when baking sourdough bread.
Servings: 15 mini muffins
- 100 grams sourdough starter - (ripe, 100% hydration - equal quantities flour and water - is perfect)
- 75 ml milk - (dairy or non-dairy is fine)
- 25 ml vegetable oil
- 60 g plain flour
- 40 g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cranberry sauce - (heaped)
- 1 tbs dark chocolate chips
Whisk the leaven, oil and milk together until well mixed. Heat oven to 190°C/375°F/GM5
In a separate, large, bowl mix the dry ingredient - flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry along with the cranberry sauce and chocolate drops (reserve a few) and fold together (the batter should be lumpy and mixing should take no more than 15 folds).
Dollop the mixture into a mini muffin pan, sprinkle each muffin with the remainder of the chocolate drops.
Bake for 12 – 15 mins until risen. For regular muffins increase the cooking time to 20 – 25 mins.
- If you do not have any sourdough leaven simply add another 50g flour and 50g milk.
- As always, the secret with muffins is not to overmix the dough. Lumps of unmixed flour in the raw mixture is fine.
- Use up leftover leaven in our leftover sourdough leaven loaf
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 50mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.2mg