Recipe: Estivale Apple & Blackberry Steamed Pudding
Estivale Apple & Blackberry Steamed Pudding
Servings: 4 servings
For the topping
- 25 g butter
- 1 large eating apple – peeled and cut into 1.5cm chunks
- 2 dsp golden caster sugar
- 100 g blackberries – cut in half depending on their size
For the sponge
- 120 g plain flour
- 30 g golden caster sugar
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground all spice
- 120 ml milk
- 30 ml light vegetable oil – I used sumflower
- Extra butter for greasing the dish
Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the apple pieces for a few minutes until they are golden. Add the sugar and blackberries and gently cook until the fruit is soft and sticky. Generously butter a 2 pint / 1 litre pudding basin and pour the fruit in.
In another mixing bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and all spice. Pour the milk and oil into a jug and whisk together. Add the milk and oil mixture to the dry ingredients and gently fold in. Do not over mix – it will only need about 15 folds.
Spoon the sponge batter over the fruit mixture and cover the bowl with clingfilm (make a few holes with the tip of a sharp knife). microwave at full power for 3 – 5 minutes until a cocktail stick pushed into the sponge comes out clean. Cooking time will depend on your microwave and size and shape of the bowl.
Turn out onto a plate and serve immediately with whipped cream.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 59mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 290IU | Vitamin C: 7.8mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1.6mg