Roasted Honey Nectarine (Healthier) Ice Cream
A delicious lighter ice cream - more akin to a gelato - flavoured with roasted nectarines. Makes about a litre.
Servings: 8 people
For the nectarines
- 4 ripe nectarines - halved - stone removed
- 2 tsp honey
- 25 g butter
For the ice cream
- 375 ml semi skimmed milk
- 75 ml double cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 110 g golden sugar
Preheat the oven to 190C / Gas Mark 5.
Arrange the nectarines cut side up in a single layer in an oven proof dish. Drizzle with the honey, and dot with the butter. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, the time will vary according to ripeness, until soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To make the custard by pouring the milk and cream into a medium pan and gently heat to a gentle simmer. Whilst the milk and cream mixture is heating mix the egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and frothy. Carefully pour the hot milk and cream mixture over, whisking all the time.
Return to the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring all over the time until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Set to one side and allow to cool.
Use a blender to blitz half the nectarines and any cooking juices to a purée and add to the custard. Chop the remainder of the nectarines finely.
Pour the custard mix into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions until frozen. Stir in the chopped nectarines, transfer to a plastic tub and freeze for a few hours until solid.
- You can vary the ratio of cream to milk, keep 450ml of liquid in total.
- Peaches would work as well as nectarines.
- Freeze leftover egg whites in silicon cup cake cases and use for meringue.
- Swirl some nectarine jam though to make this extra special.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 169mg | Sodium: 58mg | Potassium: 248mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 695IU | Vitamin C: 3.8mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 0.7mg