Swede Chips (Rutabaga Fries) With Sticky Mustard Coating
Chips with a difference – nutty roast swede (rutabaga) with a sweet mustard and honey dressing. Parboil the swede first to minimize time in the oven.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 swede (rutabaga)
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp grain mustard - (heaped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Peel the swede. Cut into half, then quarters. Slice each quarter lengthwise, and cut into batons.
Boil the swede chips very gently in a large saucepan of salted water for about 5–8 minutes, until they just start to soften. Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/GM 6.
Drain the swede and transfer to a large roasting pan with the oil. Turn with a spatula to coat each chip evenly. Place in the oven.
Every 10 minutes or so, turn the chips.
After 30 minutes, add the honey and mustard. Turn the chips so they're evenly coated with the mustard mixture. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
Serve immediately, as a side dish or with dips as a warming snack.
- The chips will have an uneven shape thanks to the shape of the swede. For uniform chips, trim the edges of the swede and cut the chips from the centre of the vegetable. Dice and freeze the trimmings, and add to stews, soups, and vegetable bakes and cobblers. Alternatively, make swede mash as a side dish or as a topping for cottage pie.
- If you don't eat honey, use maple or agave syrup.
- You can cut the chips ahead of time and store in a bowl of water in the fridge overnight.
- This recipe is 4 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 24.1mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 0.4mg