Whole Wheat Walnut Bread
Deliciously nutty bread; a great accompaniment to cheese.
Servings: 1 loaf
Prep Time8 hrs 20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time9 hrs
- 1 tsp active dry yeast - divided
- 2 cups (500 ml) lukewarm water (95 - 110F, 35 - 45C), divided
- 3 cups (380 g) plain bread flour, divided
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs olive or walnut oil
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) stone-ground whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (40 g) semolina flour, oat flour, or more whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups (175 g) coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
First prepare the sponge starter. Dissolve 1/2 t yeast in 1 c (250 ml) lukewarm water in a medium bowl. Let proof until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 c (190 g) bread flour and stir until a thick batter forms. Cover the bowl and leave at room temperature to rise and bubble for 6 to 8 hours. The starter is ready to use now or can be put in the fridge overnight. (Bring it back to room temperature before using.)
Dissolve the remaining 1/2 t yeast with the 1 c (250 ml) lukewarm water in a large bowl. Let proof for about 5 minutes.
Add the sponge starter and mix well. Stir in the honey, oil, whole wheat flour, semolina flour or oat flour (if using), and salt.
Add 1 1/4 c (160 g) of the remaining bread flour gradually to form a stiff dough.
Add the walnuts.
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for ten minutes, adding as much of the reserved flour as needed to keep it from being too sticky. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Grease the bowl and return the dough, turning it to coat it in oil. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise until it is doubled in size, about 2 hours.
Divide the dough into two pieces and form into loaves. Place on a baking pan and leave them to rise again, about 30 minutes.
Bake at 400 F/205 C for 30 to 40 minutes, until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Cool on a wire rack.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 2852kcal | Carbohydrates: 345g | Protein: 78g | Fat: 135g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 2365mg | Potassium: 1264mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 243mg | Iron: 10.3mg