Roast Root Vegetables with Pesto
This hearty, full-flavoured and substantial root vegetable salad is adaptable, frugal and very tasty. It is also ideal for using up leftovers. Perfect for picnics, potlucks and barbecues. Naturally gluten free and easily made vegan.
- 750 g root vegetables - A mix of carrots, parsnips, turnip, swede, onions, potato, beetroot etc.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp pesto
- salt & pepper to taste
First, peel the vegetables and cut into batons, chunks or wedges about the thickness of your thumb. Place in a roasting tray, add a good glug of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Then give the tray a good shake to coat the vegetables with the oil.
Place in a moderately hot oven (190°C / 325°F / GM 5) and cook for about 40 minutes until the vegetables are soft and starting to caramelize. Flip the vegetables once while cooking.
Place vegetables in a serving bowl. Add a spoon or two of pesto and another glug of olive oil. Stir well. Serve warm or cold.
- You can make this with my honey and sherry roasted vegetables.
- Leftover pesto can be frozen. First stir in some extra olive oil and then freeze the jar - the extra oil will stop it freezing solid, so you can still spoon it from frozen. If you prefer, portion the pesto into an ice cube tray and then bag up once frozen.
- Make this vegan by using vegan pesto.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 53mg | Potassium: 703mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 31.8mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1.1mg