Slow Cooker 5 Bean Chilli
A hearty vegan chilli is the perfect winter dish to feed a crowd. Healthy, rich, flavourful and filling with a gentle heat and earthy notes from the cumin. Cook in a casserole in the oven or in the slow cooker. Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free. Hearty winter food that is perfect for a mid week after work supper.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 chillies - large, dried
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions - chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tins plum tomatoes
- 1 tin haricot beans
- 1 tin black eyed beans
- 1 tin aduki beans
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin black beans
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs sweet chill sauce - or tomato ketchup
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grated cheese - (or vegan alternative)
- Sour Cream - (or vegan alternative)
- Chopped avocado
- Sliced chillies
- Sliced radishes
- Lime wedges
- Baked potatoes
Grind the cumin, coriander seeds and chillis.
Add the ground spices to a pan and dry fry until aromatic. Remove and set to one side.
Fry the onion, celery and garlic in the sunflower oil until starting to turn golden brown.
Whilst the onions are cooking, drain and rinse the tinned beans. Reserve half the black beans together with their liquid and blitz with a stick blender to a smooth liquid.
Add all the ingredients to the pot, and stir. Put the lid on and cook for 9 minutes to 2 hours at 180C / 350F / Gas 4
To make in the slow cooker
Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker pot. Cook for 4 hours on high, or 8 on low. Adjust for your slow cooker.
Serve with baked potatoes or rice topped with any of grated cheese, guacamole, salsa and sour cream (vegan if required).
- Adjust the spicing and heat to suit your taste. This chilli is quite earthy form the cumin, use less if you prefer.
- Timings will vary depending on the brand of beans you use - the texture varies widely and your slow cooker. Adjust timings accordingly.
- Freezes well.
- Nutrition is for just the 5 bean chilli without toppings.
- This recipe without the toppings is 8 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 1063mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1150IU | Vitamin C: 27.2mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 5.5mg