This no-mayo Asian Slaw will become a frequent favourite: a delicious healthy take on the classic salad, with flavours of soy sauce and sesame and lots of crunch from the different vegetables.
Serve as a side, or as a healthy lighter alternative to rice or noodles with a takeaway. Vegan, Gluten Free
Servings: 4 people
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
For the Salad
- 1/4 hispi cabbage - (or other cabbage)
- 1 head pak choi (bok choy)
- 1 carrot
- 1 chilli - (sliced and de-seeded)
- 1 spring onion
- 1 bunch leafy coriander - (according to taste)
For the dressing
- 1 dsp sesame oil - (or olive oil)
- 1 dsp tamari - (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp maple syrup - (or honey)
- 1 cm ginger root - (finely grated)
- 1 lime - (juiced)
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
Finely shred the cabbage, pak choi and coriander (including the stalks). Peel and grate the carrot.
Slice the chili lengthways and de-seed. Finely slice the chilli and spring onion.
Measure out and mix the dressing ingredients (aside from the sesame seeds) and whisk together.
Add the dressing and chopped ingredients to a salad bowl and massage in with your hands.
Serve topped with the sesame seeds and a few extra coriander leaves.
- Keep fresh ginger in a tub in the freezer and grate it from frozen.
- When juicing citrus fruit, roll them on the worktop under the heel of your hand for a few seconds – you will extract FAR more juice.
- Tamari is gluten free whereas regular soy sauce contains wheat. Use which you prefer.
- Use either maple syrup (vegan) or honey in the dressing.
- I used a mix of red & green chillies, and white & black sesame seeds purely to make this salad look more attractive. Again, use what you have.
- Pak and bok choi are the same thing. You can also make this Asian slaw with regular cabbage, Chinese broccoli or other leafy greens.
- This recipe is 3 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 747mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 12695IU | Vitamin C: 129.6mg | Calcium: 269mg | Iron: 2.5mg