BBQ Grilled Watermelon and Mixed Grain Salad
A summer salad with zesty, minty, refreshing & juicy BBQ grilled watermelon served with a mixed grain salad.
Servings: 6 people
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
- 250 g mixed grains
- 1 sprig mint
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp Flora
BBQ Grilled Watermelon
- ½ watermelon
- 1 tbs olive oil - (or melted Flora Original)
- 1 lime
Light the barbecue, and add charcoal or turn up the gas to get it hot.
Slice the watermelon into 2 cm thick slices, cut into wedges, and brush each slice with melted Flora or olive oil. Quarter the lime.
Place the watermelon and lime wedges on the barbecue. Leave to cook for about five minutes, depending on the heat of your barbecue. Turn once when well charred on the first side.
While the watermelon is cooking, cook the grains in boiling water according to packet instructions. Strain, and add to a serving bowl. Squeeze over the juice from the grilled lime quarters and spoon on the Flora. Stir together.
When the grains are cool, add the mint and pomegranate seeds, Toss well. It's important that the grains are cold, otherwise the mint will cook and turn dark.
Once the watermelon is cooked, cut of the rinds and place on top of the grain salad. Garnish with some more chopped mint, serve and enjoy!
- Too cold or wet to BBQ? Don't worry, just cook the watermelon on a cast iron griddle on the stove.
- It's easier to cook the watermelon with the rind on and then cut it off before serving.
- You really cannot add too much mint to this dish – I love to use it as a salad leaf and add handfuls.
- If you don’t like mint, this would be delicious with coriander, chilli and avocado.
- It is essential that you allow the grains to cool before you add the mint or other chopped herbs – if you add them to warm grains, they go black.
- Cut any leftover watermelon into cubes and stir through the salad for a work packed lunch.
- This recipe is 13 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 29mg | Potassium: 621mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 2215IU | Vitamin C: 34.2mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1.8mg