Leftover Chicken Curry
Fry onions, spices, and tomato puree to make a rich, comforting curry sauce for leftover chicken. Simmer for 15 minutes for a simple week-night curry. Keto friendly.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1-1.5 cups leftover roast chicken - diced into 1 cm cubes - 150g
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock / broth - 240ml
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- salt and pepper
Chop the onion and fry for a few minutes. Crush and add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the turmeric, curry powder, and flour along with the chicken, and then stir until the meat is well coated. Cook for a further two minutes or so, to cook out the taste of the flour and bring out the aroma of the spices.
Add a little stock, and stir until you have a smooth paste. Add the rest of the stock slowly. Then add the tomato puree and stir again until well mixed.
Turn the heat down low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with flatbread or rice.
Hints and Tips
Gluten Free Version
To make this dish gluten free, omit the regular flour. Put a teaspoon of cornflour (cornstarch) into a small bowl. Stir in a tablespoon of the stock to make a smooth paste. Add this paste along with the rest of the stock.
Don’t worry about the appearance of the white milky cornflour paste it will go clear as it cooks. You don’t need to add the stock slowly when using cornflour, but you do need to fry the spices as normal. Once the spices have cooked, simply make the paste then add it and the rest of the stock all at once.
- To avoid lumps in the sauce, add a little of the stock to make a paste before you add the rest of the liquid.
- Use up leftover gravy by adding it at the same time as the stock. Reduce the amount of stock in proportion
- You can vary the flavours by adding some chopped tomatoes with the stock. (Fresh and tinned both work well.)
- For a fruity curry, add a little mango chutney to taste and/or a scant handful of sultanas.
- To make a richer sauce, add some cream or coconut cream.
- You could add some vegetables such as roast butternut squash. (This is another chance to use up any leftovers from the night before!)
- Make your leftover chicken go further by adding some tinned chick peas or other beans.
- Slice some green and red peppers. Fry them and add just before the end of cooking.
- This recipe is 10 Weight Watchers Smart Points
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 177mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1.5mg