Easy Pumpkin Spice Dump Cake (One Step, Vegan)
This easy vegan pumpkin spice cake is rich and delicious, packed with warming autumnal spice.Simply put all the ingredients into a mixer or food processor, mix together and bake. Swap in your favourite gluten-free flour to make this gluten free. Egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free and vegan, this cake works for everyone. With plenty of flavour in the cake, the decoration is optional but well worth trying.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 350 g plain flour
- 225 g sugar - (soft brown or golden is best)
- 2–3 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tbs orange zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 225 ml water
- 100 g vegan spread - (melted)
- 150 g pumpkin puree
- 4 tbsp golden syrup - (about 60g)
For the orange and stem ginger drizzle
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp ginger syrup
- 2 tsp orange juice - (as needed)
- 2 pieces candied stem ginger
For the cake
Place all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix.
Add the pumpkin puree and golden syrup.
Melt the spread and add to the bowl with the water.
Mix it all together until you have a smooth batter. You can do this with a hand mixer, by hand or even in the food processor.
Line a 8" x 8" or a 9" x 6" baking tin with baking parchment. Pour the batter into the lined tin. Bake at GM4/180°C/355°F for about 35–40 mins, until the cake is well risen and a cocktail stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, as a freshly baked cake is very fragile when still hot. When it is cool enough to handle, lift out of the tin and leave to fully cool on a wire cake rack.
For the orange & stem ginger drizzle
Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Finely chop a few pieces of the stem ginger.
Stir a teaspoon of the stem ginger syrup into the icing sugar. Slowly stir in some orange juice, a few drops at at time. Test the consistency. It should run off the spoon, leaving a trail in the bowl that disappears after a few seconds.
Pour the icing into a piping bag, or other small, clean plastic bag.
When you are ready to decorate the cake, snip the corner off the bag. Starting from one corner, gently squeeze the bag and drizzle the icing back and forth across the cake. I find it is easier to space the lines of icing out, and go over the cake several times.
Scatter the stem ginger pieces over the cake. Allow 20 minutes for the icing to set before serving.
Hints and Tips
Can I make this gluten free?
YES! Simply substitute your usual gluten free flour.
Will this cake freeze?
Yes! Wrap well and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Decorate once defrosted.
- By far the easiest way to make this is to use an electronic scale. Put your mixing bowl on the scale and zero it before adding each ingredient. As the recipe is so forgiving, you can use a rough conversion of 1 g = 1 ml for the syrup.
- If you use a spoon to measure the syrup, dip it in a mug of hot water first. The syrup will then slide off the spoon easily.
- If you can't find pumpkin spice blend, make your own to your taste, or use regular mixed spice.
- Substitute molasses, honey (as long as your cake doesn't need to be vegan) or maple syrup for the golden syrup.
- Add a pinch of chilli or powdered ginger for extra heat.
- Use figs or dates in place of the pumpkin, for a fruitier cake. These can be either chopped or blended.
- Add a handful of chopped stem ginger to the batter.
- Decorate with a few flaked almonds.
- Mug Cake – Fill a microwaveable mug 2/3 full with the batter and zap in the microwave for 90 seconds to 2 minutes, until risen and cooked through.
- Bundt Cake – Pour the batter into a well-greased bundt tin and bake for 40–45 minutes until risen and golden. Check with a toothpick to see it the cake is cooked.
- Loaf Cake – Pour the batter into a well-greased loaf tin and bake for 40–45 minutes until risen and golden. Check with a toothpick to see it the cake is cooked
- This recipe is 9 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 82mg | Potassium: 146mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 1430IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1.9mg