Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
An indulgent pub classic of chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, cooked in bubbling BBQ sauce and melting cheese.
Servings: 2 people
- 2 chicken breasts - 100–150 g
- 4 rashers streaky bacon - rindless – smoked or unsmoked
- 4 tbsp BBQ sauce - homemade is best – see my ten minute recipe
- 50 g cheddar - strong, grated
- 50 g mozzarella - shredded/grated, with the excess liquid squeezed out
- black pepper
- parsley - optional garnish
Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F / Gas Mark 6. Wrap each chicken breast in two rashers of streaky bacon.
2 chicken breasts, 4 rashers streaky bacon
Put a little oil in an oven dish and place the chicken in it. Season generously with pepper.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25–30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Drain off any juices that have come out of the meat. If there is a lot of liquid, cook for a bit longer.
Spread the BBQ sauce over the chicken pieces. Then sprinkle over the two cheeses, and return to the oven to melt. You can finish the dish under the grill if want to brown the cheese.
4 tbsp BBQ sauce, 50 g cheddar, 50 g mozzarella
Garnish with parsley and serve at once.
Leftovers / Make Ahead
- Even if you are feeding hearty eaters with big appetites, don’t use massive chicken breasts. It’s better to cut them in half and give everyone two pieces.
- You don’t want to spoil the sauce by letting it become watery. Be sure to drain off any liquid that comes out of the meat when it is roasting (especially if it has been previously frozen) and gently squeeze any excess moisture from the mozzarella.
- If using shop BBQ sauce jazz it up with a little extra chilli, Worcestershire or soy sauce, or some liquid smoke.
- This really is best made fresh. However you can cook the chicken and bacon ahead and cover with foil. Once cooled, you can store the meat for up to 48 hours in the fridge. Then reheat in the hot oven for 10 minutes, remove the foil and add the sauce and bacon.
- Cover leftovers and keep in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Reheat in a hot oven in a covered dish, removing the cover after 10 minutes. You may need to add a little extra cheese.
- This recipe is 18 Weight Watchers Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 562kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 155mg | Sodium: 1108mg | Potassium: 674mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 552IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 327mg | Iron: 1mg