Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Smoked Mackerel Pate Recipe
Rich, delicious and piquant with a touch of horseradish, this simple smoked mackerel paté recipe is a great way to get more oily fish into your diet. Easy enough for a quick lunch and smart enough for a dinner party.
Servings: 6 people
- 200 g smoked mackerel - 2-3 fillets
- 100 g cream cheese
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- lemon juice - a generous squeeze, to taste
- black pepper
Remove the skin from the fish. Break into chunks if you are going to use a food processor, or flake into a bowl if you will mix the paté by hand.
200 g smoked mackerel
Put all the ingredients in the food processor and blitz in short bursts until you have the texture you prefer. Alternatively, mix well with a fork in a bowl.
100 g cream cheese, 2 tsp horseradish sauce, lemon juice, black pepper
Adjust the seasoning to taste. Leave in the fridge in a sealed container for at least an hour for the flavours to combine. (Overnight is even better.)
Packets of smoked mackerel tend not to be a standard size. Scale the recipe accordingly.
- Swap the horseradish for a smooth Dijon mustard.
- Stir through some chopped fresh herbs, such as chives or parsley.
- Stir through finely chopped gherkins, or capers.
- Swap some of the cream cheese for mayonnaise, sour cream or natural yogurt.
- For a touch of heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Fridge – Store in an airtight pot and eat within 3 days, or by the best-before date on the mackerel. Leftovers make a fantastic pasta sauce, loose with a little of the pasta cooking water.
Freezer – Portion and freeze. Avoid freezing, however, if the fillets have previously been frozen.
- If you don’t like smoked fish, substitute well-drained canned mackerel in oil or water.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 671kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 528mg | Potassium: 969mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1467IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 2mg