Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Slow Cooker Cornbread
Go oven-less with this delicious slow cooker cornbread. A quick and easy recipe that cooks in your crock pot or slow cooker.
Servings: 15 pieces
- 200 g cornmeal - or polenta
- 150 g plain flour - gluten free if required
- 20 g sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder - gluten free if required
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g butter - melted
- 300 ml milk
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 eggs
- 50 g corn - frozen
- 1 tbsp butter - to grease the slow cooker pot
Add the lemon juice to the milk and let stand for 10 minutes.
While waiting, cut out greaseproof paper in the shape of the bottom of your slow cooker pot. Butter the pot well, and place the grease proof paper at the bottom.
Mix the dry ingredients.
Defrost the frozen corn and chop or blitz in a food processor briefly.
Lightly beat the eggs and add to the milk. Add the corn and milk mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together.
Pour the batter into the slow cooker and cook on high for about an hour and a half.
Test like cake, with a skewer - the cornbread is done when the skewer comes out cleanly. Turn out, add lashings of butter and enjoy!
- Don't stint when buttering the crockpot. A good layer will really help the cornbread turn out easily. Line the bottom with greaseproof paper, or cut reusable silicone paper to shape.
- Before turning out the cornbread, run a knife round the edge first.
- Cooking times can vary wildly depending on your slow cooker or Crockpot. Our old slow cooker made this perfectly in 90 minutes, the replacement one which is the same wattage takes almost 2 hours.
- Toast the cornmeal first. Cook it in a dry frying pan on a medium heat on the hob until it turns fragrant. This really enhances the corn flavour.
- For a luxurious, indulgent version, use bacon fat instead of butter.
- Or make a dairy free version by using a non-dairy spread - we haven't tested this yet.
- Add some finely diced chillis for a hint of heat.
- Grate in some cheese for a rich cheesy cornbread. Perfect with a hearty vegetable soup!
- Add some chopped sundried tomatoes at the same time as the corn to add colour and another flavour.
- Or, stir in some mixed herbs.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 487mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 1.3mg