Southern Spiced Pork Steaks
This complex Southern-style smoky spice mix really brings out the flavour of pork. Pefect for a quick weeknight dinner for two.
For the spice blend
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried basil or oregano
For the pork steaks
- 2 pork loin steaks - about 120 -150g each
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
Make the spice mix by mixing all the dry ingredients together in a bowl or small jar. Stir or shake to combine. Adjust the chilli to suit your taste.
Lightly score a diamond pattern on both sides of the pork steaks with a sharp knife.
Rub a heaped teaspoon of the mix evenly over both sides of the pork. You can do this a day ahead and keep the steaks in the fridge, so the spices infuse the meat.
Set a flat griddle pan on a medium to high heat.Lightly oil the pork steaks on each side and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, taking care not to overcook.
- Vary the spice blend to suit your taste.
- There is enough spice blend for 4–5 meals here. It is great with stir-fried chicken or beef, or with roast vegetables. It would also be delicious used in slow cooker pulled pork, or on a large piece of BBQed beef.
- Lean pork can get tough, so it is important not to overcook it. You want your Southern spiced pork to be tender and juicy.
- You can marinate the pork in the spice rub and keep in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking or freezing.
- When cooking on a ridged griddle pan, oil the food rather than the pan. This helps to stop it sticking.
- This recipe is 6 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 298mg | Potassium: 543mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 493IU | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg