Spaghetti with pea pesto
This nut free twist on traditional pesto is made with a base of canned peas and seeds.
For the Pesto
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- 1 tbs pumpkin seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil - good quality
- 1 can peas - drained and rinsed - I used Batchelors Marrowfat "Bigga"
- 25 g basil
- Juice and zest one lemon
- Salt & Pepper to season
- 150 g Spaghetti cooked as per the packet instructions - I used a wholegrain spelt
- 20 g spft goa'ts cheese - optional
Place the seeds into a food processor, blender or mini chopper and whizz until roughly ground. Add the garlic and the oil and whizz again.
Add the peas (reserve a spoonful for garnish), basil and lemon juice and zest and whizz until you have a chunky paste, thin with water if needed and season to taste.
Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, drain (reserve some of the cooking water), add the pesto to the pan with a little pasta water to thin it, stir and allow to heat, add the freshly cooked pasta and reserved peas and mix well.
Serve immediately topped with little pieces of goat's cheese and some more basil leaves.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.