Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Recipe: Super Frugal Pea, Potato & Lemon Soup
A delicious pretty pale green soup made from everyday basics found in the fridge, freezer and store cupboard. Topping with a puff pastry shape makes this into something more special.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion – peeled and roughly chopped
- 500 ml stock – I used chicken but vegetable would work just fine
- 1 large potato – approx 250g – diced into 2cm pieces
- 150 g frozen peas
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp butter
- Glug of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scraps of puff pastry
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add the potato and the stock and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the peas, reserving a few for garnish, and the lemon. Season and then simmer until the potato is cooked.
Use a stick blender to whizz the soup until it is smooth. Defrost the reserved peas by putting them in a mug of boiling water, then drain them.
Cook your puff pastry scraps or shapes as per the packet instructions.
If you wish add a knob of butter and some milk to make the soup richer and creamier and adjust the seasoning.
Serve the soup garnished with the reserved peas and topped with the puff pastry shapes.
Use vegetable stock and dairy free spread and milk to make this recipe vegan.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.