Recipe: Sloe Ice Cream - Harvesting the Blackthorn
Sloe Ice Cream - Harvesting the Blackthorn
Servings: 750 ml
- 300 ml double cream
- 150 ml milk
- 6 egg yolks - free range please
- ½ cup / 110g your choice of sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence – optional
- 250 -300 ml Sloe Syrup
Place the cream and milk into a pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
Meanwhile using an electric whisk mix the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until they are pale and the sugar has dissolved.
Slowly pour the hot cream and milk over the egg and sugar mixture, whisking as you do.
Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and gently cook, stirring all the time and taking care to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan, until the mixture is glossy and has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Allow to cool, then churn in an ice cream machine with the syrup until thick. Pack into a plastic tub and freeze for a few hours to firm it up.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 750ml | Calories: 2kcal | Cholesterol: 2mg | Vitamin A: 10IU | Calcium: 1mg