Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Recipe: Higher Fibre Spelt Pizza
A delicious homemade pizza base made with wholegrain spelt with some extra fibre. Healthier fakeaways.
Servings: 3 25cm crusts
- 30 g Spelt Porridge flakes - soaked in 30g of water for about an hour
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 200 ml warm water
- 150 g whole grain spelt flour
- 150 g white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs oil – olive / rapeseed / hemp etc.
- Polenta & your choice of pizza toppings.
Pour the water into bowl, add the yeast and swirl until it is dissolved, leave for 5 mins if needed to activate it. Add the other ingredients.
Knead with the dough hook attachment of your mixer on the lowest speed for about 4 minutes until a smooth stretchy dough has formed (if you knead by hand it will take longer).
Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for a few hours. It should more than double in size.
Turn out onto a floured board of worktop and gently knock the dough back. Divide the dough into 3.
Gently shape each quantity of dough into a pizza shapes on a baking tray or pizza stone liberally sprinkled with polenta to stop sticking.
Spread with tomato sauce (I used my high fibre tomato and lentil sauce), arrange your toppings and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in a very hot oven (GM7 / 220c / 425F) for about 12 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the pizza is golden around the edges.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 463kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 842mg | Potassium: 135mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 7.4mg