Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Spiced Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
A silky-smooth sweet potato and carrot soup, with zesty lemon and warming ginger and chilli.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion - peeled & roughly chopped
- 600 g carrots - (8-9 medium, peeled and cut into chunks)
- 200 g sweet potato - (two medium sized, peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 red chilli - (chopped, discard seeds and membranes)
- 1 cm grated ginger root - (1tsp preserved grated ginger)
- 1000 ml vegetable stock
- 1 lemon - juice and zest
- 1 tin light coconut milk - or 4 tbs powdered and 400ml water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- coriander - (to garnish)
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and fry the onion for a few minutes until softened.
Add the carrots, sweet potato, chilli and ginger and cook for another minute.
Add stock, lemon and coconut milk. Cover, turn the heat down and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
Blend until silky smooth and serve piping hot, garnished with coriander and chilli flakes.
You can also use coconut milk drink from a carton, but this has far less flavour.
- Coconut Milk This recipe uses a can of light coconut milk, which has less fat but all the taste of the regular version. You can also use one of the small cans of coconut cream, made up to 440 ml with water.
Alternatively, you can use powdered coconut milk/cream. Some people prefer this because it is cheaper, and you can make as much or as little as you like. If you avoid dairy, read the label when using powdered coconut milk. Some versions contain whey or other milk protein.
- Spare ginger root can be stored in a box in the freezer and then grated straight into other dishes from frozen.
- Pack leftover soup into plastic boxes and freeze to make sure you always have a healthy lunch on hand.
- Make this soup more substantial by adding a handful of red lentils. Alternatively, try a can of rinsed cannellini, or other soft white beans. Add extra stock if needed.
- I love coriander, but once picked it doesn't keep. If you are worried about presentation, use fresh. Otherwise, freeze any leftovers and then snip it up from frozen. Stir through your spiced carrot and sweet potato soup for the flavour.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 1225mg | Potassium: 762mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 32792IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1mg