Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Recipe: The Simplest Beef Casserole (Slow Cooker)
The Simplest Beef Casserole (Slow Cooker)
Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time8 hours hrs
Total Time8 hours hrs 10 minutes mins
- 2 tbs vegetable oil or dripping
- 2 onions - chopped
- 500 g beef – brisket / stewing / shin – cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 mug beef stock – I used a Knorr stock pot
- 1 small glass of red wine
Pour half the oil or dripping into a large frying pan and fry the onions few minutes until softened, transfer to the slow cooker pot or casserole dish.
Fry off the cubed beef in batches adding a little more oil or dripping as needed – there should be space around each piece so it browns properly. Once browned add to your cooking pot. When frying off the last batch of beef add the flour, this should absorb all the remaining fat. Cook for a few minutes and transfer to your cooking pot.
If necessary deglaze the pan with some of the stock by pouring a little stock into the frying pan to loosen any remaining scraps of beef. Pour this, together with the rest of the stock and wine over the beef and onions and stir. If necessary add a little water so the beef is almost covered.
Slow Cooker – Cook on high until simmering, and then turn down to low and cook for 5 to 8 hours until the beef is tender. If the casserole needs thickening prop the lid of the cooker open with a wooden spoon so some liquid can evaporate.
Oven – Cook for two and a half hours at 150°C / 300°F / GM 2.
Serve with green vegetables and mash to soak up that delicious gravy.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 639mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 3mg