Recipe: Galette des Rois
Galette des rois, a puff pastry pie filled with jam and frangipane, is a delicious French cake for Epiphany. Using ready-made pastry makes it easy to impress with this traditional dessert.
Servings: 8 -10 servings
- 320 g packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 80 g ground almonds
- 80 g caster sugar
- 80 g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- almond flakes
- 1 egg and a tablespoon of milk for an egg wash
Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F/Gas Mark 6.
Unroll the pastry. Use a plate as a guide to cut two circles of pastry – not too big. I used a side plate.
Cream the butter and sugar together, add the almonds, one egg and almond extract. Mix to a smooth paste.
Lay out one of your pastry circles on a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking sheet. Spread the jam in a circle in the centre. Allow enough space around the edge to seal on the top layer.
Cover the jam with the frangipane, and sprinkle on the flaked almonds – they add a crunch.
If you have one, hide your trinket at this point. Cover with the second layer of pastry, using a little water to seal the edges.
Make sure the top layer is well crimped on, to stop any leakage. Using a knife, score a pattern on the top. Brush the top with the remaining egg, beaten with the milk. Place in the oven, and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- If you have any pastry and filling left over, you can make mini galettes in a bun tin.
- You can omit the jam but we think it balances the flavours – apricot is probably the most common, but here we have used cherry. We also like quince, and it works well in a galette à la normande (see below).
- You can also add fruit (or even chocolate). For galette des rois à la normande, cut some slices of pear, sprinkle with lemon juice, and arrange them on top of the fragipane.
- Try adding a little kirsch, rum or brandy to the fragipane mix.
- Prosciutto puff pastry twists or easy pesto and feta pastries are perfect for using up the scraps of pastry.
- This recipe is 21 WeightWatchers Smart Points
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 8servings | Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 187mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 309IU | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg