Roasted Sweet Pepper and Tomato Chutney
A delicious tomato and pepper chutney. Ideal with cheese. Makes about 4 jars.
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes - (I used baby plum)
- 2 lb sweet chilli peppers
- 2 large onions
- 1 pint vinegar malt vinegar
- 1 lb sugar
- 2 finely chopped red chillies
Roughly chop the tomatoes – if they are very ripe heat in the preserving pan until the juices have reduced. Meanwhile lightly roast the peppers in a medium oven until starting to blacken deseed and roughly chop, there is no need to peel unless you really want too – I find my life is too short to peel peppers for chutney.
Add all ingredients to the tomatoes and bring to a rolling simmer. Turn the heat down and let mix reduce, when ready – anything between 40 mins to several hours depending how much juice was in the vegetables pour into warmed sterilised jam jars and seal down.
This chutney goes well with hard strong cheeses.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 233mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 1840IU | Vitamin C: 71.4mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 0.4mg