Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Adapted from Christine's Recipes
Servings: 15 slices
For the Tangzhong:
- 30 g flour
- 150 g cold water
For the Dough:
- 350 g strong flour
- 5 g instant yeast - or 15 g fresh yeast
- 55 g sugar
- 5 g salt
- 1 egg
- 125 g milk - buttermilk works too
- 120 g tangzhong
- 30 g butter - melted and cooled
- the rest of the tangzhong - it adds gloss and nice golden colour to the crust during baking
Prepare the tangzhong:
Whisk together cold water and flour (there should be no lumps) and cook over low heat (stirring all the time) until the temperature reaches 65ºC.
If you don't have a thermometer – no problem – cook until the spoon you're stirring with leaves a trace. The mixture should have the consistency of something in the middle between crème anglaise and pastry cream.
Leave the tangzhong to cool down at room temperature before using it.
Prepare the dough:
Dissolve yeast in the milk.
Combine together flour, sugar and salt then add in milk with the yeast, tangzhong and egg. Use your hand or stand mixer equipped with the dough hooks to mix all the ingredients into a soft dough then add in the butter.
Let the mixer do the kneading part for 15 – 20 minutes. You can see if the dough is ready by tearing a small piece of it and stretching it to a very thin membrane before it tears.
Cover the bowl and leave it to become double in bulk.
Knock the dough down on a lightly floured counter top, give it a quick knead just to let the gas escape, then form it as desired – a loaf or small buns.
Transfer to buttered loaf pan or lined with paper sheet pan if making buns. Cover with plastic wrap and let it double in bulk again.
Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Brush with the rest of the tangzhong and bake for around 30 – 35 minutes until nicely golden.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 51mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1.6mg