Smoked Mackerel, Saffron and "Crackler" Quiche
- 500 g shortcrust pastry - all butter is always better
- 4 eggs - lightly beaten
- 300 ml double cream
- sea and pepper
- 250 g Cheddar Cheese - Davidstow Crackler - diced into small cube
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley - chopped
- 2 tbsp dill - chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions - sliced
- 200 g Smoked Mackerel - skin and bones removed, broken into small pieces
- pinch saffron
Preheat the oven to 220ºC, 425ºF, gas mark 7.
Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin and use to line a 4cm deep, 20cm round loose bottom flan tin. Place the tin on a baking sheet.
Line the pastry with a circle of greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Chill for 10 minutes. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and baking beans. Brush the inside of the pastry with a little of the beaten. Turn the oven temperature down to 180ºC, 350ºF, gas mark 4.
Beat together the cream and eggs and season.
Sprinkle the cheese, parsley, dill, spring onion and Smoked mackerel over the tart case. Sprinkle with the saffron. Pour over the egg mixture.
Bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until the custard is set and the pastry is golden brown. When the tart is cool slice and serve with a simple cucumber and dill salad dressed with lemon and rapeseed oil.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 633kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 221mg | Sodium: 723mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 1470IU | Vitamin C: 2.7mg | Calcium: 363mg | Iron: 3.6mg