Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Double Onion Soup
If you love onions, then you'll adore this vegetarian double onion soup made with roasted onions.
- 4 red onions - 2 whole and 2 finely sliced
- 4 white onions - 2 whole and 2 finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup vegetable stock - 240ml
- 1 tbsp sherry - optional
- 1 tbsp mushroom ketchup - soy sauce, tamari or Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
Place the 4 whole onions on a baking tray and put into the oven at GM5/190°C/375°F. Roast for about 45 minutes until they are soft and oozing juice.
Meanwhile, sauté the sliced onions in a saucepan with little olive oil over a low heat until they are soft and starting to caramelize. Keep an eye on them and nudge them from time to time to stop them sticking and burning.
When the roast onions are done, cut the tops off and squeeze the soft insides into a bowl. Then blitz them to a purée using a stick blender.
Add the sugar to the sautéing onions and turn the heat up, stirring them all the time until the sugar has caramelized and turned golden. Add the onion puree, and enough stock to cover the onions. Throw in a glug of wine and your choice of mushroom ketchup, soy sauce, tamari or Worcestershire sauce. Finally, simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavours. Season to taste.
Serve with toast or bread, or with a slice of cheese on toast.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 2servings | Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 642mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin C: 32.6mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 0.9mg