Courgette and Red Lentil Daal
Courgettes or zucchinis are a tasty addition to a classic red lentil daal, perfect served with roti flatbreads. Frugal, supremely comforting, easy to make, healthy and delicious, this is an excellent way to use up a glut of home grown zucchinis! Vegan and naturally gluten free.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 225 g red lentils
- 500 ml stock
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 medium courgette - (cubed)
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 sprigs coriander / cilantro
Heat the oil in the pan. Add the spices, stirring all the fry them for a few minutes until they release their aroma.
Add the lentils and stir for another minute making sure they are well coated with the oil and spice mix.
Take the pan off the heat to add the stock, grate in the garlic and ginger, return to the heat and simmer for 10 mins.
Add the diced courgette and stir in. Simmer for another 10 mins until the lentils are soft, adding more water when needed. The amount of water you need to add will vary according to how much the courgette absorbs.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste - it brightens and lifts the entire dish.
Serve with roti, other flatbreads, or rice, garnished with chopped coriander leaf (cilantro).
- Freeze ginger root and grate into the daal from frozen.
- Keeps for a few days in the fridge, or make a double batch and freeze.
- Add some extra stock to leftovers and cook for another 10 minutes for a delicious lentil soup.
- Serve with my easy pilau rice.
- This recipe is 15 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 2servings | Calories: 508kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 496mg | Potassium: 1572mg | Fiber: 37g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 635IU | Vitamin C: 35.5mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 10.6mg