Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Rhubarb and Ginger Gin
Enjoy this fruity rhubarb and ginger gin on its own, or mixed as a long drink. A deliciously different tipple that's easy to make and easier to enjoy.
Servings: 22 20ml shots (450ml total)
Prep Time5 mins
Total Time5 mins
- 340 g rhubarb stalks - (as pink as you can find, trim the ends and leaves and discard)
- 140 g white caster sugar
- 270 ml gin
- 2 slices fresh ginger
Cut the rhubarb into 2 - 3cm lengths.
Place all the ingredients into a Kilner or similar jar, seal and gently swirl.
Place in a dark cupboard, giving a gentle shake everyday until the sugar is dissolved. Taste to test for sweetness and add a little more sugar as needed.
Leave for 2-3 weeks (no more than 4) - when ready most of the colour will be lost from the rhubarb.
Strain through a coffee filter, nut milk or jelly bag into clean sterilized bottles.
Wrap the rhubarb into a clean tea towel and give a really good squeeze to extract all of the gin.
- Use within 4 weeks of making, and keep the gin in the fridge. Longer than that and the flavours fade.
- Use a mid range supermarket own gin, not the cheapest and not the most expensive.
- You can use vodka in place of the gin.
- Mix up the flavours by adding some orange zest, or a star anise.
- Filtering through a coffee filter will give the clearest results but it takes ages to drip through - you will need to leave it overnight.
- Limit to 2 drinks to stay paleo
- Look for gins not made with wheat to make it gluten free
- This drink is 3 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 63kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 80mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 0.1mg