Russian Potato Salad Recipe
This healthy vegetarian Russian Salad recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. Smart twists and substitutions lighten the classic recipe without compromising on flavour. Naturally gluten free and easy to make vegan.
Servings: 2 people
For the dressing
- 50 g yoghurt - low fat
- 20 g mayonnaise
- 1 tsp vinegar - from the gherkins. Adjust to taste.
- 1 sprig dill - (chopped)
For the salad
- 100 g potato - preferably a waxy variety, boiled and cubed
- 60 g frozen peas
- 1 carrot - large
- 0.5 can chickpeas
- 2 gherkins
- 2 radishes
The night before, mix the dressing ingredients; use a little vinegar from the gherkins to thin to a suitable consistency.
Boil the potatoes until just cooked.
If you're going to eat immediately, defrost the peas in some boiling water. (For a packed lunch use them frozen.)
Dice the carrot and cooked potato. Slice the gherkins and radishes. Mix all the ingredients and coat with the dressing.
Transfer to a serving dish ,or for a packed lunch, a jar or plastic pot. Garnish with dill and you're ready to go.
Serve with a packet of salt and vinegar Popchips!
- The salad will keep for about three days in the fridge once made up.
- We keep cooked beans and pulses ready in the freezer at all times. They are perfect to add to soups or stews, as a base for a bean dip or, as here, in a salad. One less thing to do the night before!
- You can vary the vegetables according to what's available. How about adding sweetcorn or beetroot? You could add boiled egg too.
- A vegan version of this Russian salad is easy; just make the dressing using vegan mayonnaise and yogurt. If you want to add more protein, smoked tofu would work.
- For meat eaters, you might want to go the other way and add some diced cooked chicken, ham, bacon, sausage or flaked smoked fish.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 240mg | Potassium: 738mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5350IU | Vitamin C: 25.2mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 5.1mg