Easy Chinese Chow Mein Fakeaway
Enjoy an easy week night dinner with our quick to make chicken chow mein fakeaway which will be ready faster than the food can be delivered! Full of flavour, packed with vegetables, and so much cheaper than takeout! Make with chicken, beef or tofu.
Servings: 2 people
- 2 skinless chicken thighs - cut into strips
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs rice wine
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 red chili - deseeded and diced
- 0.5 cm fresh ginger - finely grated
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper - deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 8 baby corn - cut lengthwise into quarters
- 50 g mange-tout - cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 courgette - medium sized. Cut lengthwise into batons.
- 4 spring onions - trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 tbs dark soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 65 g Chinese egg noodles - cooked
Place the chicken, cornstarch, rice wine, soy sauce, cumin, chili, ginger, and garlic into a bowl, mix, and allow to marinate. Leave for at least 20 minutes, longer if possible.
Pour the vegetable oil into a large saucepan or wok and heat. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the marinade and stir-fry over a high heat for 5 minutes.
Add the remainder of the marinade and stir well. Add the bell pepper, baby corn, mange-tout, scallions and stir-fry for another minute. Pour over 2 tbsp of water and allow the vegetables to steam.
Add the noodles and stir-fry until they are hot and coated with the sauce. Add the dark soy sauce and sesame oil, stir through and cook for another 30 seconds.
Serve immediately with extra soy sauce, chili, and spring onions to garnish.
- To make a vegan-friendly version of this dish use tofu in place of the chicken. Wrap a block of firm tofu in kitchen towel and place a chopping board on top of it for 10 minutes to remove some moisture. Cut into 1.5 cm cubes and dust them in a tablespoon of cornstarch. Fry until crispy. Remove from the pan and set to one side. Add the marinade mix to the pan, then the vegetables, and cook as above. Serve topped with the crispy tofu.
- You could also make this with strips of frying steak.
- To make a gluten free version, use GF noodles and a good quality tamari rather than soy sauce.
- A time saving tip it to marinade twice as much chicken as you need for one meal. Freeze half of the marinading chicken.
- To make this meal go further throw in an extra nest of egg noodles, or some extra vegetables.
- This recipe is 12 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Serving: 345g | Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 41.2g | Protein: 27.7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5.7g | Sodium: 679mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 5.2g | Sugar: 11.6g | Vitamin A: 2850IU | Vitamin C: 139.9mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 4.2mg