Slaw Style Asparagus Salad
A delicious, crunchy cabbage and carrot coleslaw made with raw asparagus; it's a healthy salad with no mayo, made with a light, citrus based dressing.This is a colourful and crunchy dish; contrasting red and green cabbage, orange carrots and delicate strips of asparagus stalks. Perfect for pot lucks, BBQ, grilling and picnics.
A great vegetarian and vegan dish that is also Gluten Free and Keto friendly due to the low carbs in the asparagus.
For the salad
- 6 stalks asparagus
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 1/2 Hispi or sweetheart cabbage
- 2 carrots - (medium)
- 2 spring onions
- bunch parsley
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper - (to taste)
Finely slice both types of cabbage. Grate the carrots. Chop the spring onions and parsley. Cut of the heads of the asparagus, and use a vegetable peeler to finely slice the stalks.
Mix the dressing ingredients in a large bowl
Add salad to dressing, and use your hands to toss.
Serve and enjoy!
- Substitute the maple syrup for sugar free maple syrup or a low calories sweetner
- Minimize your portion to keep it keto friendly to 12 stalks
- This recipe is 4 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
- To make it paleo avoid the dressing and just steam the asparagus
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 483mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 6035IU | Vitamin C: 76.1mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1.6mg