Beet Salad with Labneh & Greens (Patzarosalata me Yiaourti)
Inspired on a traditional beetroot salad I was served on the Greek Island of Tinos, this easy beet salad is served with a garlicky labneh oregano tzatziki and a generous helping of steamed beet greens.
This pretty purple, green and white salad is easy to make in advance and prepare when you are ready to eat. Ideal for picnics, BBQ, grilling and potlucks. Naturally gluten free. Recipe includes hints and tips to make preparation even easier. Naturally Vegetarian, Gluten Free and Keto Friendly.
- 300 g beetroot - Ideally uncooked, with leaves
- 1 handful chard
- 300 g labneh
- 1 tbsp oregano - fresh
- 1 clove garlic
- cucumber - grated
- 2 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil
Cut the leaves off the beetroot, then peel and steam the beetroot until soft and cooked. This will take about 30 minutes. If possible, do this ahead of time and allow to cool. Keep the leaves and add them to the chard.
Slice, and steam the chard and beet greens until wilted. This will only take a couple of minutes, and can be done in a microwave. Once cooked, squeeze out all the water.
Slice the beetroot and arrange in a circle on a plate. Add the chard and beetroot leaves to the centre of the circle.
Stir oregano, garlic and cucumber through the labneh. Top the greens with the labneh mixture, and drizzle over olive oil. Season with freshly ground pepper
- If raw beetroot isn't available, you can substitute precooked (but not pickled) beetroot.
- If you're using precooked beetroot, use more chard to substitute for the beet leaves.
- To make it Whole 30 and Paleo omit the cheese
- This recipe is 5 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 399mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 595IU | Vitamin C: 6.6mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 1.3mg