Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Easy Chinese Chicken Curry
A tasty Chinese chicken curry that's perfect for an after-work supper for two and easy to pack with vegetables. The chicken katsu curry meets British chip shop sauce is delicious in this Chinese-style one pot dish.
Servings: 2 People
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp curry powder - or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice mix
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 chicken thighs - diced, skin and bone removed
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 240 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp soy sauce - *or tamari to be gluten free
- 2 tsp chilli sauce - or more to taste
- 1/4 red pepper - sliced
- 80 g miniature corn
- 80 g mange tout peas
Mix the spices and cornflour together. Then add the chopped chicken and mix well to evenly coat the chicken.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or flat casserole dish. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken has cooked on all sides.
Add enough stock to just cover the bottom of the pan. Stir well so that there are no lumps of spice mixture. Add the sliced red pepper & the soy and chilli sauces.
Simmer the mixture gently for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken until a track will remain for a few seconds after dragging a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pan.
Add the mange tout and miniature corn. Stir in well and then cover for about two minutes, to allow to soften slightly.
- Season to your taste with extra curry or chilli.
- The Chinese Five Spice blend is what gives the sauce that authentic takeaway Chinese Curry Sauce note - it is subtle, but very necessary.
- It is really important to keep stirring and scraping the sides and bottom of the pan when making this, or you can en up with gelatinous lumps in your sauce. If this happens simply pass it though a fine mesh sieve.
- Soy sauce is generally NOT gluten free. You need to use a certified gluten free brand or a tamari for a gluten free sauce.
- Leftovers can be frozen, pour into a plastic pot, seal and freeze, once defrosted reheat in a pan or microwave.
- This recipe is 12 Weight Watchers Smrt Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 955mg | Potassium: 430mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1349IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 3mg