Easy Macaroni Cheese
This delicious and easy macaroni cheese is made in minutes, with no roux worries when making the sauce. The easiest fuss-free version of Mac n cheese ever!
Servings: 2 people
For The Easy Cheese Sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 70 g cheese - grated
- 70 ml milk
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp tomato puree
Other Ingredients For Macaroni Cheese
- 100 g macaroni
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs - for topping
- 70 g cheese - grated, for topping
Heat oven to 200°C /fan 180°C / Gas Mark 6.
Start cooking the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, according to packet instructions.
Mix the cornflour and grated cheese, either by stirring together in a bowl or by shaking in a plastic box.
Put the cheese and cornflour mixture into a small saucepan. Add the milk, mustard and tomato puree and heat gently on a low heat, stirring constantly.
After a couple of minutes, the sauce will thicken. Take off the heat
When the pasta is mostly cooked, spoon off 3 tablespoons of pasta water and add to the sauce. When the pasta is cooked, drain well.
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, and stir well. Pour the mixture into a 15 x1 0 cm (6" x 4") pie dish. Top with the rest of the grated cheese and breadcrumbs.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the top is golden and crispy.
- The mustard and tomato puree are optional, but they do give the sauce a gorgeous rich orange colour. You could add a little red chilli too, to create a Mexican feel.
- Substitute some of the cheddar with mozzarella for a really stringy sauce.
- Make a double or quadruple batch and serve in a fondue pan over a low flame at a party – try using gruyère and Dijon mustard instead of the cheddar and tomato.
- Reheat in the microwave on low power for 30 seconds, then in bursts of 10 seconds.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 537kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 541mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 758IU | Calcium: 573mg | Iron: 2mg