Roasted Swede Soup
A delicious root vegetable soup with a North African twist. Roasting brings out the best in these frugal and nutritious veg.
Servings: 6 people
- ½ swede (rutabaga) - 500g
- 2 parsnips - 200g
- 2 carrots - 170g
- 1 onion - 150g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ras el hanout
- 1 tsp oregano - dried
- 600 ml stock - vegetable or chicken
- salt & pepper
- Fresh herbs - chopped
- drizzle cream, or hemp or flax oil - or a knob of butter
Heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Peel and chop the vegetables into small cubes (about 1.5 cm / ½").
Add the vegetables to a roasting dish with a good pinch of salt, the olive oil, ras el hanout and oregano. Stir together to make sure the vegetables are well coated with the oil and spices.
Roast for 15 minutes. Then remove the dish from the oven and shake or stir well. Return to the oven and cook for a further 15–25 minutes, until soft and starting to brown at the edges.
Transfer the cooked vegetables to a saucepan. If wanted, save a few pieces to use as garnish later.
Pour the stock into the roasting dish, and scrape the bottom with a spatula or wooden spoon, to collect all the crispy bits from the bottom of the pan.
Pour the stock into the saucepan with the vegetables.
Blitz the soup with a stick or immersion blender or puree in a blender or food processor.
Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
For a rich and creamy soup, add a knob of butter. A squeeze of lemon juice will lift and brighten the flavours.
- Use whichever root vegetables are easy to find. Try swede and carrot soup or swede and parsnip soup, or experiment with whatever you have to hand.
- You can swap the spices around to suit your taste. I have used a North African spice blend but Middle Eastern or Indian blends would work well too, so choose something you like.
- Remember to deglaze the pan with your stock before pouring it onto the veg. A good cook never wastes anything with flavour!
- This soup freezes well so make extra. Just allow it to cool and pack it into plastic pots. Defrost and reheat in microwave or on the stove top.
- I like soup garnished. Top yours with seeds, a few cubes of the roasted vegetables, chopped fresh herbs, plain yoghurt – whatever you like.
- This recipe is 6 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 437mg | Potassium: 523mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5796IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1mg