Easy Roast Swede (Rutabaga)
Spiced roast swede makes a delicious side dish. If you always thought you didn't like swede try roasting it! Once cooked it is sweet, delicious and a perfect side. After roasting it you will love swede!
- 1 swede (rutabaga) - 500g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp harissa
- salt and pepper
Peel the swede and cut into quarters. Slice and then cut into 1 cm / ½" cubes. Heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / GM6
Put everything in a roasting pan, making sure that there's enough space so that the swede is not piled up. Mix well to coat each cube with oil and spice.
Roast for 20 minutes. Turn the swede with a spatula.
Return to the oven for a final 15–20 minutes.
Even more flavours for roasted swede
- You need a good heavy sharp knife to tackle the hard swede.
- You can prepare the swede in advance and keep in the fridge in a bowl of water for a day (drain well and pat dry with a tea towel before cooking), or freeze and cook from frozen.
- Vary the spices - any warming spice or blend works well here.
- Spread the swede out so you only have one layer in the dish. You want it to roast, not steam. If needed use two roasting trays.
- Once cooked it will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for 4 days.
- As above change the spices, I used harissa, but other blends would all work well. It is a great way to use up half used packets of seasoning mix such as taco, fajita, cajun or jerk. Other blends that would work are the Middle Eastern blends such as ras en halout, Baharat and Za’atar.
- Add extra sweetness with some honey or maple.
- Add a spoon of honey, a woody herb like thyme, and some hazelnuts for thyme and hazelnut roasted swede.
- Chilli and cumin is a classic combination, throw a spoon of each in with a drizzle of honey for chilli cumin swede.
- Sprinkle finely grated Parmesan over about 10 mins before the end of cooking for Parmesan roasted swede.
- This recipe is 3 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 99kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 28mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg