Haricot Bean Ratatouille Casserole
Haricot bean casserole is a great way to use up a summer glut of courgettes, making a delicious and nourishing one pot meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - sliced
- 1-2 courgette (depending on size) - sliced
- 1 tbsp mint or other herb leaves - shredded
- a handful of tomatoes - roughly chopped
- 170 g haricot beans - cooked from 70 g dried
- salt and pepper to season
Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan and gently sautée the onions and garlic until translucent and soft.
Add the courgettes, mint (reserving a few leaves) and a sprinkle of salt. Then turn the heat right down (I use a diffuser on my lowest gas ring). Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. The courgettes should become very soft. You may need to add a little water during the cooking.
Add the tomatoes and haricot beans. Stir and allow to cook for another 15–20 minutes, until the tomatoes and beans are soft.
Season to taste, garnish with some extra herbs and serve with a hunk of crusty bread.
- If you are in a hurry use canned haricot beans, or even rinse the sauce off a can of baked beans!
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 396mg | Potassium: 757mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 923IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 2mg