Find more recipes at fussfreeflavours.com
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
A delicious roasted butternut squash soup with a hint of spice. Roasting brings out the best in these delicious sweet vegetables.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 butternut squash - 500g
- 2 carrots - 170g
- 1 onion - 150g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ras el hanout - or other spice blend as you prefer
- 600 ml stock - vegetable or chicken
- salt & pepper
- fresh herbs - chopped
- drizzle cream, or hemp or flax oil - or a knob of butter
Heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6. Peel and chop the butternut squash into small cubes (about 1.5 cm / ½").
Add the squash to a roasting dish with a good pinch of salt, the olive oil and the spice. Stir together to make sure the squash is well coated with the oil and spices.
Roast for 15 minutes. Then remove the dish from the oven and shake or stir well. Return to the oven and cook for a further 15–25 minutes, until soft and starting to brown at the edges.
Peel the carrots, onion and garlic and roughly chop. Cut the celery into chunks.
Fry the chopped carrot, onion, garlic and celery over a medium heat until the onion is translucent.
Transfer the vegetables to a saucepan and add the roasted squash (reserving some to garnish). Then pour over the stock and bring to a gentle simmer until the carrots are soft.
Blitz the soup with a stick or immersion blender or puree in a blender or food processor. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
For a rich and creamy soup, add a knob of butter. A squeeze of lemon juice will lift and brighten the flavours.
- You can swap the spices around to suit your taste. I have used a North African spice blend but Middle Eastern or Indian blends would work well too, so choose something you like.
- This soup freezes well so make extra. Just allow it to cool and pack it into plastic pots. Defrost and reheat in microwave or on the stove top.
- I like soup garnished. Top yours with seeds, a few cubes of the roasted vegetables, chopped fresh herbs, plain yoghurt – whatever you like.
- This recipe is 6 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 437mg | Potassium: 523mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5796IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1mg